5 Healthy Holiday Snack Ideas
Keep the holidays both fun and healthy with these tasty and nutritious treats.
- Whole-wheat pita pockets cut in triangles
- Diced tomatoes or diced red bell pepper
Spread guacamole on pita triangles. Sprinkle diced veggie on top.
- Breton Whole Wheat Crackers (or equivalent)
- Fat-free or low-fat cream cheese
- Diced vegetables – red bell pepper, carrots or celery
Spread cream cheese on whole-wheat crackers. Decorate with colorful diced vegetables.
Holiday Snack Mix
- 2 cups Chex Cereal
- 2 cups whole-wheat pretzel pieces
- 1-2 cups dried cranberries or craisins
- 8-ounces white baker’s chocolate
- Red or green food dye
Place all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Melt chocolate according to directions. Add food coloring of choice. Drizzle over cereal mix and toss until coated.
- Red apple slices
- Granny Smith apple slices
- Red sugar-free Jell-O (flavor of choice)
- Green sugar-free Jell-O (flavor of choice)
Sprinkle red Jell-O over green apple slices. Sprinkle green Jell-O over red apple slices. Serve on a nice platter.
- 8 ounces skim milk
- 2 ounces liquid peppermint coffee creamer
- 4 ounces vanilla Greek yogurt
Blend all ingredients together and serve.
Ashley Bueschler is a mom to three daughters, family nurse practitioner and author of "Your Kid's Favorite Meals Made Healthy."