Local Resources for Nursing Moms
Carolina Lactation Center – 704-355-BABY (2229)
Or, visit www.carolinashealthcare.org. Click on Services, Women’s, Maternity, Patient Services & Classes, and then Classes to find dates, times and locations.
The class, A Parent’s Guide to Breastfeeding, costs $30. Expectant fathers or support persons are encouraged to attend. All mothers receive a copy of “Breastfeeding: A Parent’s Guide.” Registration is required.
In addition, BABY (Beginning a Beautiful Year) is a free educational support group for new parents from baby’s birth through the first year. Registration is required.
La Leche League – 1-800-LA-LECHE
Or, visit www.lllofnc.org. Click on Local Groups and then click on Local Meetings. Free meetings/support groups for breastfeeding moms to share information and experience.
Local meeting locations:
• Ballantyne – Third Saturday, 10 a.m., at Earth Fare, 12235 N. Community House Road.
• Cabarrus County – Second Thursday, 7 p.m., in the second-floor classroom of the Miriam Cannon Hayes Family Center at Carolinas Medical Center-NorthEast, 920 Church St. N., Concord.
• Charlotte North – Third Wednesday, 10 a.m., at Holy Covenant United Church of Christ, 3501 West W.T. Harris Blvd.
• Charlotte South – Fourth Thursday, 10 a.m., at Messiah Lutheran Church, 8300 Providence Road.
• Cotswold – Third Thursday, 10:30 a.m., at Scottish Rite Temple, 4740 Randolph Road.
• Lake Norman – Second Wednesday, 10 a.m. St. Alban’s Episcopal Church, 301 Caldwell Lane, Davidson.
• Matthews/Union County – Second Thursday, 10:30 a.m., at Siskey YMCA, 3127 Weddington Road, Matthews.
The Lactation Center at CMC-NorthEast – 800-575-1275
Also, the Breastfeeding Help Line is 704-403-1186. Or, visit www.cmc-northeast.org. Click on Programs & Services, Miriam Cannon Hayes Family Center and then Breastfeeding Support.
The breastfeeding class, A Special Relationship, is offered on Thursday, July 2, and Tuesday, July 21, 6:30-8:30 p.m. The class costs $20. Bring a partner or other support person. Registration is required.
The Nursing Mother’s Place at Presbyterian Hospital – 704-384-4949 www.presbyterian.org/nursingmothersplace.
An Introduction to Breastfeeding class is offered at the main hospital, Huntersville and Matthews locations. The class costs $30. Bring a partner, family member or other support member. The next class is Saturday, July 25, 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Holly Becker is a freelance writer who blogs about motherhood. A resident of Davidson, Becker tries to stay sane while raising three children ages 3 and younger.