Easy At-Home Arts & Crafts for the Non-Pinterest Parent
If you’re not a creative and crafty parent, fear not. We’ve pulled together five easy projects that are simple to execute, make minimal mess, and entertain your children. No arts degree required.
Paper Plate Maracas
- Paper plates
- Stapler or glue
- Elbow macaroni or dried beans or beads
- Markers/crayons to decorate
- Place a handful of your macaroni/beads/beans on a paper plate.
- Either fold the paper plate in half, or place a second paper plate on top, bottom side up. Staple or glue the edges of the paper plate together.
- Decorate your maraca with your markers or crayons and then shake!
Coffee Filter Butterflies
- 4 coffee filters
- Washable markers
- Pipe cleaner
- Baking sheet or plate
- Separate the coffee filters into two pairs. For each pair, place one on top of the other.
- Using washable markers, decorate the top of coffee filter of each pair. The marker will bleed through to the bottom filter slightly.
- Place the two pairs of filters on the baking tray or plate. Drip water onto the filters until the entire circle is wet. The colors will start to bleed together and transfer to the bottom filter.
- Allow the filters to dry. Stick the tray out in the sun if possible.
- Once dry, accordion fold each pair of filters.
- Take the two accordion folded pairs together. Fold the pipe cleaner in half and wrap it around the center of the two pairs of filters. Twist the pipe cleaner to secure the filters together.
- Fan out the coffee filters to create the butterfly wings. Curl the ends of the pipe cleaner to create the antennae.
Toilet Paper Roll Confetti Cannon
- Toilet paper roll
- Rubber band or duct tape
- Hole punch (optional)
- Knot the end of the balloon as you would if you were to inflate it. Then cut the top of the balloon off, creating an open end.
- Place the open end of the balloon on the end of the toilet paper roll and secure it with either the rubber band or duct tape.
- Cut a sheet of paper into tiny pieces to create the confetti. (Or use a hole punch if available. Put your confetti into the toilet paper roll.
- To launch, pull the balloon knot back and release.
*To create a mess-free version, swap the confetti paper for leaves and make it an outdoor craft!
- Peanut butter
- Plastic knives or popsicle stick
- Small bowl
- Plate or tray
- Tie the string around one end of the pinecone. You will use this to hang the pinecone outside.
- Use the plastic knife or popsicle stick to spread the peanut butter all over the pinecone.
- Place the birdseed into the bowl.
- Roll the peanut butter pinecone in the birdseed, making sure to coat the whole cone.
- Find a spot to hang your feeder outside, preferably by a window so you can watch the birds enjoy!
Homemade Chalk Paint
- Colored chalk
- Plastic bags
- Paper cups or bowls
- Separate chalk by color, then place each color into its own plastic bag.
- Use the hammer to crush the chalk until it is in powder form.
- Dump each of the powder chalks into a cup or bowl.
- Slowly add water to each cup or bowl, using the paintbrushes to stir until you get a consistency you want.
- Let the kids paint the driveway or sidewalk without worry!