Liven up your holiday celebration with some bread pudding with bourbon sauce. Try this recipe, found only at www.charlotteparent.com/food for the readers of Charlotte Parent.
Prep Time: About 30 minutes
Serve warm or at room temperature; keeps 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
One head of broccoli
¼ cup red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons sesame oil
¼ cup olive oil
3 tablespoons pine nuts
1 clove garlic, finely diced
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Remove broccoli stems and cut the buds into bite-size pieces.
2. Boil some water in a medium pot, insert a steamer or colander in the pot and just barely steam the broccoli pieces to keep them bright green — about 1 minute or less. Do not cook until soft.
3. Rinse under cold water and drain.
4. Place broccoli in bowl with vinegar and toss.
5. Use the same pot to warm 1 tablespoon of olive oil
6. Cook the garlic until soft and creamy (don’t let it brown).
7. Lightly toast the pine nuts.
8. Let the pan cool a bit, add the rest of the olive oil and sesame oil and toss with the broccoli. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Anita Skogland is a certified expert in wines and spirits. She has developed and implemented university-level wine education programs, conducted private wine tastings and taught wine classes for professionals and consumers. She teaches “Essentials of