5 Easy, Healthy Meals That the Whole Family Will Love
Here are a couple very simple meals that you can prepare for the family in 15 minutes or less:
- Smear cream cheese on flour tortilla. Then add spinach, tomatoes, onions, peppers, refried beans/black beans, shredded cheese to the wrap.
- Add oil to a skillet and heat up the wraps until desired temperature
- Buy jar of pasta sauce, crushed or diced tomatoes depending on your preference, onions and minced garlic, lentils (preferably red lentils since they have less flavor and take less time to cook)
- Cook lentils per package description and while those are cooking, sauté onions and garlic for a few minutes. Add jar of sauce and tomatoes to the onions and garlic. Once lentils are done cooking, add everything together and serve.
Breakfast for Dinner!
- Any type of eggs, pancakes, etc that your family enjoys
- Omelets are a great way to use up any veggies, meat, etc that are close to going bad in your fridge
- At the Harris Teeter meat counter, ask them to dice chicken breast for you (usually 1.99/pound)
- Cook in a skillet until cooked thoroughly then add Harris Teeter brand Puttanesca sauce
- Serve over brown rice
- Brown ground turkey breast until cooked thoroughly. Add onions, cilantro and garlic as desired. Season with Harris Teeter enchilada or taco sauce which is in the international aisle. Add any kind of leafy green that you have available (Kale, spinach, romaine, etc)
- Serve in a flour tortilla bowl (Normally a BIG hit with kids)
Kelsey Knasel is a registered dietitian and nutritionist with Carolinas Medical Center-Pineville, part of Carolinas HealthCare System. She provides health education, focusing on treatment of individuals dealing with chronic illness and those who are working to maintain healthy lifestyles.