The Scoop on Sundaes
Sundaes are sweet, but maybe it’s time for something sensational. Gale Gand, renowned pastry chef and mother of three, has partnered with Breyers to put a creative twist on the classic ice cream sundae.
Gand says that one of the secrets of a fantastic sundae is to start with high-quality ice cream as your base. “Even the most decadent sundae toppings can’t cover up a shortcut on ice cream,” said Gand. “Breyers ice cream is full of rich ingredients and flavor, and you have many great varieties to choose from.”
These recipes bring the simple sundae to a whole new level of goodness. From the kid-friendly Spaghetti and Meatballs Sundaes to the sophisticated Mini Coffee Ice Cream Sundaes, there’s something to please everyone.
To give you the scoop on making your best sundae, Gand has these 10 tips:
10 Tips for Sundae Making
1. Using store-bought ingredients makes sundae-making fast and easy. You can always doll things up, like dissolve some instant coffee in a little hot water and stir it into store-bought caramel sauce to make a coffee-caramel drizzle.
2. Using whole nuts and dried fruit for add-ins can give your sundae extra texture and a big crunch.
3. Roll scoops of ice cream in any kind of crumbs, crunched cereal or chocolate milk powder for an ice cream “truffle.”
4. Use mini containers like egg cups, espresso cups and cordial glasses to make mini sundaes.
5. Make a quickie fresh-fruit topping by mashing your favorite berries with a little white or brown sugar.
6. To keep your ice cream from melting as fast, freeze your sundae bowls or dessert dishes overnight.
7. To make your scoops more perfect-looking, dip your ice cream scoop in hot water in between scoops.
8. Use two or more flavors of ice cream in a sundae to add extra flavor and flair.
9. Simply tucking a cookie next to a scoop of ice cream, standing up, can really dress it up.
10. Create an exotic-looking sundae by using a wooden skewer to thread fruit onto, and then stick it into a scoop of ice cream. Use things like berries, ripe peach wedges and banana slices.
Spaghetti and Meatball Sundaes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Freeze time: 30 minutes
12 small scoops Breyers Rocky Road ice cream
1 cup chocolate sandwich cookie crumbs
2 cups strawberries, trimmed
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup Breyers Natural Vanilla ice cream, divided
2 store-bought shortbread cookies, crushed
Freeze plate 30 minutes. For meatballs, arrange Rocky Road ice cream scoops on chilled plate. Place chocolate cookie crumbs on another plate. Roll scoops, one at a time, in cookie crumbs, then return to chilled plate until ready to serve.
For sauce, mash strawberries with sugar in medium bowl using potato masher or fork to make chunky sauce. Stir in additional sugar if desired.
To build sundaes, press vanilla ice cream through potato ricer* into 4 dessert bowls for spaghetti. Top each with 3 “meatballs,” then sauce. Top with crushed shortbread cookie cheese. Serve with a fork!
*If a potato ricer is not available, simply scoop ice cream into bowls.
Snow Ball Sundaes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Freeze time: 30 minutes
2 cups Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream
8 slices (1-1/2 inches thick) store-bought
Angel food cake
1/4 cup hot fudge topping, warmed
1/2 cup marshmallow creme, melted*
Freeze plate 30 minutes. Make 4 (1/2-cup) scoops ice cream and arrange on chilled plate.
Place one ice cream ball on 1 cake slice, then top with second cake slice. Shape cake around ice cream to encase it, using your hands to completely cover ice cream. Return to freezer until ready to serve. Repeat with remaining ice cream and cake.
To serve, arrange snow balls in 4 dessert bowls. Top with hot fudge topping, then marshmallow creme and sprinkles.
*TIP: Easily melt marshmallow creme in a glass measuring cup in the microwave.
Ice Cream Lollipops
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Freeze Time: 30 minutes
2 cups Breyers Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
ice cream topping
pink or rainbow sprinkles
Freeze plate 30 minutes. Scoop 8 balls ice cream and place on chilled plate. Insert a wooden stick into each ball and freeze at least 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, pour ice cream topping into bowl. Dip frozen balls into ice cream topping, twirling to coat. Quickly decorate with sprinkles. Keep frozen until ready to serve.