Take-A-Break Snack Mix
¼ cup sliced almonds
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
2 teaspoons water
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups whole-grain oat cereal with yogurt-flavored coating
2 cups whole-grain wheat and bran flakes with raisins
1/2 cup dried unsweetened cranberries
1/2 cup dried unsweetened blueberries
1. Put a piece of aluminum foil about 12 inches square on a platter or baking sheet. Lightly spray with cooking spray. Set aside.?
2. In a small nonstick skillet, dry-roast the almonds over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until lightly golden brown, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in the brown sugar, water, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the liquid has evaporated and the almonds are coated with the mixture, stirring constantly. Transfer to the foil. Let cool completely, 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together the remaining ingredients.
5. Add the cooled almonds to the cereal mixture, stirring to combine. Store in an airtight container for up to 7 days. For variety, substitute different nutrient-dense dried fruits, such as cherries, apricots, and plums, for the cranberries and blueberries. Cut them into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces before adding them to the cereal mixture.
Serving: ½ c
Calories: 139 | Total Fat: 2.0g | Protein: 2g | Cholesterol: 0mg |??
Find more healthy eating tips.