RECIPE: Marc Jacksina’s Vegan Tomato Soup
This is a go-to meal for his family of four
Marc Jacksina is the veteran restaurateur behind Earl’s Grocery, Nan & Byrons, and Halcyon, Flavors from the Earth. Today he’s executive sous chef at Southminster Retirement Community and co-hosts the culinary documentary series order/fire, currently in its 5th season. He and his wife Lauren have two sons, Lucas,18, and Ian, 17. This recipe for vegan tomato soup remains a go-to weeknight dinner in the Jacksina house.
¼ head cauliflower cut in ¼ inch slices
1 shallot (or ½ sweet onion) sliced thin
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
¼ cup garlic cloves, whole, peeled, and smashed
1 tablespoon thyme, picked (or 1 tsp dried)
1 pinch red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon marjoram or oregano, dried
1 small can tomato paste
1 cup sherry wine or white wine
2 28-oz cans crushed tomatoes
1 12-oz can V-8 Juice
4 cups water
¼ cup sugar
3 tablespoons Kosher salt
3 tablespoons basil
2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- Heat a small amount of oil in a large heavy bottom stockpot over medium high heat.
- Sauté the cauliflower, shallot, red bell pepper, and roasted garlic until soft and fragrant.
- Add thyme, marjoram, and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomato paste and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Deglaze with the sherry/white wine and reduce.
- Add canned tomatoes, V-8, water, sugar, and salt. Bring to a low boil, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. When all of the vegetables are tender, add basil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Once smooth, emulsify the soup by slowly streaming in the oil while blender is still running.
- Enjoy with your favorite grilled (vegan) cheese sandwich, or crackers.