LILY BAKES: Five Ingredient Vanilla Cake
The latest from our resident kid baker
Lily Barnes is our 11-year-old resident kid baker. Each month she shares an original recipe that kids can make at home with their parents, plus a few behind-the-scenes tips and tricks to make your treat extra special. Here is Lily’s recipe for Five Ingredient Vanilla Cake:
FIVE INGREDIENT VANILLA CAKE
I chose to make a cake in celebration of school being out for the summer! This cake has only five ingredients and is easy to make. I think this will be cool for kids to make with their families because it’s simple and there are ways to add your own special touch.—Lily
- 3½ cups self-rising flour
- 1½ cups granulated white sugar
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a 9 x 13 inch cake pan with parchment paper.
- Add all flour and sugar to a large mixing bowl. Mix together on low.
- Add ⅓ cup of oil and 1 cup of water. Mix until a batter forms.
- Add in vanilla extract. Then add in the remaining oil and water and mix until combined.
- Remember to scrape your bowl and mix, making sure all flour chunks are gone.
- Pour batter into a baking pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Ice and top your cake with your choice of buttercream, glaze, or whipped topping and berries.