LILY BAKES: Breakfast Bread With Mixed Berry Spread
The latest from our resident kid baker
Lily Barnes is our 11-year-old resident kid baker. Each month she shares an original recipe that kids can make at home with their parents, plus a few behind-the-scenes tips and tricks to make your treat extra special. Here is Lily’s recipe for Breakfast Bread With Mixed Berry Spread:
BREAKFAST BREAD WITH MIXED BERRY SPREAD
I wanted to try something to bake for breakfast, so I made a breakfast bread with fresh jam. Since I love breakfast food, this was a fun choice! This option was fun to make and others would enjoy it because it is a simple recipe to make that is easy to add different fruity toppings on.—Lily
- 4 cups plain/all purpose flour
- 8 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 teaspoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 ½ cups milk warmed
- ¼ cup grape seed oil
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons oats
- 2 ½ cups mixed berries
- ¾ cups sugar
- Juice from 1 lemon and 1 lime
- Preheat oven to 430ºF.
- Line a 9 x 5 loaf pan with parchment paper .
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a bowl .
- Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and pour in oil and milk. Fully mix.
- Pour the bread mix into the loaf pan using a rubber spatula.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and drizzle on honey followed by oats. Cover with a greased piece of aluminum foil.
- Turn oven DOWN to 390ºF, return bread to oven, and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Cool in pan for a few minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Allow bread to cool for 30 minutes before slicing. Serve with berry spread.
*with the help of an adult
- In a pan on low heat, add berries (I used fresh strawberries and blueberries)
- Squeeze in all the juice of a lemon and a lime, watch for seeds.
- Pour in all of the sugar and mix quickly so it doesn’t stick to the pan, and simmer on low for 10 to 15 minutes until berries have softened and a light syrup forms.
- Transfer berries into a container and cool in the refrigerator. Use within 2 to 3 days.