Just Next Door: Statesville
Just up I-77 from Charlotte, Statesville is a medium-sized town of just under 11,000 people. with a big heart. Located in Iredell County, Statesville’s a growing area with a mix of industries that boasts three public high schools, four private high schools and easy access to a variety of colleges and universities. Statesville is a young town, with ties to the old North Carolina industries of textiles and furniture, and to the new industries of NASCAR and technology.
Statesville can trace its history back to the days of the French and Indian War with the founding of Fort Dobbs in 1756. In Statesville, visitors can relive the days of the Civil War, discover natural history, art and local crafts, visit the area’s largest plantation and walk in the footsteps of Daniel Boone. Enjoy miles of outdoor trails, picnic areas, local festivals and seasonal fun.
Statesville has something for everyone, young and old, modern or historic.
• The Fort Dobbs Historic Site gives visitors the chance to explore a three-story log fort. Legend has it that Daniel Boone stayed at the fort.
• North Carolina Fresco Trail — Artist Ben Long’s frescos trace the history of Statesville and key events in the state of North Carolina.
• The Iredell Living History Museum offers art, natural science displays and local history. There’s even a real mummy! The Children’s Museum is located inside Signal Hill Mall, with lots of opportunities for hands-on creative play and learning.
• The Statesville Train Depot is a restored railway station from 1911, featuring art and exhibits.
• Evernham Motorsports Race Shop brings the excitement of NASCAR to Statesville with cars, trophies and displays featuring drivers Kasey Kahne, Elliot Sadler and Scott Riggs.
Parks & Recreation
Statesville boasts great parks for fun and exercise.
• The Outdoor Education Center boasts a ropes course, climbing tower and primitive camping area, plus programs designed to help kids and adults appreciate the environment.
• Lakewood Park has picnic shelters, horseshoe courts, an open-air amphitheatre, playgrounds, trails and a picturesque gazebo by the lake.
• The Statesville Park and Soccer Complex has soccer fields, playgrounds, paved walking trails, picnic areas and a concession stand.
• Albert B. McClure Park offers baseball/softball fields, while Caldwell Park provides tennis courts. Love basketball? Try the courts at Kimbrough or Harris Parks. Harris Park also has football fields and volleyball courts. MacAnderson Park features fitness equipment and trails, complete with a water fountain for dogs.
Historical Fun Facts
• Kit Carson, Daniel Boone and Buffalo Bill Cody all had ties to Statesville.
• The Carolina Balloon Fest is the East Coast’s oldest hot air balloon rally.
• Dashana Hall Plantation is the area’s largest plantation and dates to 1753.
• Emeralds have been found in nearby Hiddenite.
• The area’s original settlers were largely Scots-Irish and German.
Mark Your Calendar
• Rockin’ RibFest (June 1-3) www.dovehouseribfest.com Bring an appetite for the area’s big rib cookoff.
• Iredell County Junior Dairy Show (Aug. 1) Watch the local cows and cowboys strut their stuff.
• Fort Dobbs Guarding the Fort reenactment (Aug. 11) www.fortdobbs.org. Experience life on the frontier with displays and reenactments from before America was a country.
• Annual Living History and Civil War Reenactment (Aug. 25-26) www.iredellblues.com/allisonwoodslivinghistory.htm. Watch costumed actors relive the way the Carolinas were more than 150 years ago.
• Iredell County Fair (Sept. 3-8) http://www.iredellcountyfairgrounds.com.
Celebrate Iredell’s farm heritage with a great local fair.
• Carolina Balloon Fest (Oct. 26-28) www.carolinaballoonfest.com/. A huge hot air balloon rally with hundreds of colorful balloons.
• Crossroads PumpkinFest (Nov. 3) www.statesvillepumpkinfest.com. Head for downtown Statesville to get the best pumpkins for fall plus games, arts/crafts, rides and excitement.
• Statesville Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony (Dec. 27) Statesville Civic Center 7 p.m.
What’s Next Door?
Distance from downtown Statesville to Neighboring Towns*
Mooresville to Statesville = 18 miles
Davidson to Statesville = 22 miles
Charlotte to Statesville = 41 miles
Fort Mill to Statesville = 58 miles
*according to Yahoo! Maps
Great Places to Pass the Time
• Iredell County Library
• Hobbytown USA
I Scream You Scream for Statesville Ice Cream
• Ice Cream Bar
• Cool Spot
• Jay Bee’s
• Dairy Queen /