Crafts for Kids: Patriotic Pinwheel
ruler or straight-edge
sheet of white paper
one metal brad
red and blue marker
1. Lay the sheet of paper in front of you horizontally.
2. Place the quarter in the center of the paper and trace around it with the pencil ti create a circle.
3. With the help of the ruler, draw a diagonal line from the top left corner to the bottom right corner.
4. Then, draw a diagonal line from the top right corner to the bottom left corner.
5. Starting at each corner, help your child use the scissors to cut to the center of the paper without cutting into the circle. You should have four flaps joined by the intact circle.
6. Take a break for creativity. Decorate the front and back of each flap to celebrate the red, white and blue!
7. Right flap: Take the top edge. Bend it to the center circle. Tape.
8. Bottom flap: Take the right edge. Bend it to the center circle. Tape.
9. Left flap: Take the bottom edge. Bend it to the center circle. Tape.
10. Top flap: Take the left edge. Bend it to the center circle. Tape.
11. Insert the metal brad through the center circle. (Parents: Use caution here, the metal is sharp.)
12. Push the brad into the drinking straw. (Parents: this may require the help of scissors.)