6 Ways to Celebrate the Start of the Fall Season With Kids
Fall is in the air. Temps are down, skies are not as bright and the leaves are turning, and there’s a lot to do to enjoy the fall season with kids in Charlotte. Here are six things I recommend to fill September weekends.
1. Go to a festival or fair. There are so many great festivals in the Charlotte-area. The Cabarrus County Fair is happening now through Sept. 13, and for a cultural venture, check out Festival of India, Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 13-14. Or for a day trip, plan a trip to a festival in another part of N.C. in October.
2. Plan a camping trip. When the weather is cool and leaves are gorgeous colors, a camping trip complete with a fire and s’mores is a great way to get quality time with the kids. Pick your choice spot at a North Carolina State Park. If you don’t like to pitch a tent, consider High Rock Lake Marina and Campground.
3. Picnic at the park. With so many parks in Mecklenburg County, a picnic and day of play is a fantastic way to enjoy the outdoors without spending much money. Drive to Lake Norman to experience the beach at Jetton Park. Or Freedom Park and the NFL Play60 Kid Zone are always favorites.
4. Game time! The Panthers season is on. Take the family to watch the pros play in the upgraded Bank of America Stadium. Stop by Romare Bearden Park before game time to run football skills and drills and rev up with the TopCats cheerleaders.
5. Zip over to the U.S. National Whitewater Center for family team-building. Try the ropes course, whitewater rafting or the zipline.
6. Take a trip to an apple orchard for some picking and then make cobbler, pie, applesauce, cinnamon apples and more. Western North Carolina is a great place to go pick, or head to Windy Hill Orchard in York County for hard cider samplings and apple picking, oh and they make apple doughnuts too!