5 Tips for Wintertime Safety
A few tips to keep you prepared in weather-related emergencies, including power outages.
Though Charlotte typically experiences mild temperatures throughout the winter, the city is not immune to the occasional cold snap and wintry weather. The National Center for Environmental Health has put together a few tips to keep you prepared in weather-related emergencies, including power outages.
1. Keep an up-to-date emergency kit, including a flashlight, a National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Weather radio, extra batteries, a first-aid kit with extra medicine, baby items and cat litter or sand for icy walkways.
2. Also prepare a kit for your car, in the event that you should become stranded, with items such as blankets, food and water, booster cables, a flat tire pump, a flashlight and first-aid kit.
3. Keep grills, camp stoves and generators out of the house, basement and garage. Leave your home immediately if the carbon monoxide detector sounds and call 911.
4. Stock up on non-perishable foods and water stored in clean containers.
5. Ensure that your cell phone is fully charged.