Kids Tell Parents How to Behave at Their Games
What kids want you to know before the fall sport season begins.
It's almost that time of year again, fall sports are soon to be in full swing and this calls for a little reminder for parents on how to best support their kids at sporting events on and off the field.
Below are some helpful insights into the minds of kids ages 12-18, who play a variety of sports, on what they would like their parents to do and say before, during, and after their sports events so that ...
- You don't embarrass us in front of our teammates and coaches.
- You don't embarrass yourself.
- You teach us how to be a good sport!
From the national survey I conducted with teens on this topic, I found one thing very shocking. Over 35 percent of kids said that based on how their parents behave during their games it makes them want to play their sport less. So, if you want your kids to continue to love our sport and excel at it, please read these quick tips on how to be supportive.
Before a game, what do you like your parents to do?
- Help me pack my equipment/jerseys/uniforms for the game.
- Do not talk about the game or how I should play at all.
Before a game, what do you hate your parents to do?
- Tell me how I should play and what I should do in the game.
During a game, what do you like your parents to do?
- Cheer from the sidelines for me and my teammates.
- Say nothing, but just clap.
During a game, what do you hate your parents to do?
- Coach me from the sidelines telling me what I should and should not do.
- Get angry at the other team and refs and yell at them.
After a game, what do you like your parents to do?
- Tell me what I did right.
- Talk about the game in general (not in too much detail).
After a game, what do you hate your parents to do?
- Complain about the game.
- Tell me what I did wrong and continue to dwell on the little mistakes I made even hours after the game is over.
- Talk about what you teammates and coach did wrong.
If you want to hear more about this survey and topic, click HERE to watch my Fox News segment. Also, if you want to see other surveys and videos, please go to my website at Emmahusk.com. Thank you! Emma