Grandparents' Day in the Queen City
9 simple ways to show Grandma and Grandpa you care.
Celebrate the grands on Grandparents' Day.
Try these nine simple ways to show Grandma and Grandpa that you care. Grandparents’ Day only comes once a year, so do not miss out on multigenerational family fun!
- Send a homemade card. Whipping out glue, glitter, paint and markers may sound like a mess, but you and your child will make more than a card. You will make a memory!
- Cook up something tasty with your “grandfriends” at Grandparents Day Cooking at Flour Power Studios.
- Explore the great outdoors in a nature hike at Reedy Creek Nature Preserve. The “Plants with Grandparents” hike celebrates National Grandparents’ Day while also throwing in some plant education.
- Kick back with Gramps as the Carolina Panthers kick off their regular season! Feel the excitement if you score tickets to the game, or relax from the comfort of your couch. Just don’t forget to wear black and blue!
- Take time to stop and smell the flowers with Grandma at Daniel Stowe Botanical Gardens or the botanical gardens at UNC Charlotte.
- Read a book together. Favorite titles include, “How to Babysit a Grandpa” by Jean Reagan, “Just Grandma and Me” by Mercer Mayer and “Llama Llama Gram and Grandpa” by Anna Dewdney.
- Enjoy a good, old fashioned performance, like Peter and the Starcatcher.
- Get hooked on fishing at one of greater Charlotte’s local fishing holes.
- Help Grandma bake her blue-ribbon apple pie, but first, bring the whole family to pick their own farm fresh apples! Windy Hill Orchard expects this season’s apples to be ripe for the picking on the weekend of Grandparent’s Day! If your family prefers peach cobbler, blueberry pie or other farm favorites, check out other local farmer’s markets and pick-your-own growers.