Free in the Queen City
- Learn about where writing began and who created the alphabets we use today at The Alphabet Museum in Waxhaw, open Mon.-Sat. from 9am-4pm. jaars.org.
- Have an uptown adventure and ride the Light Rail to the Rail Trail Symphony, where you can take a break and play the drums while you walk the path. charlotterailtrail.org.
- Visit The Schiele Museum for free on the second Tuesday of each month (Nov. 14) from 4-8pm. schielemuseum.org.
- Discuss the book series and play games and do crafts at the American Girl Book Club on Nov. 7 at 4pm at the Mint Hill Library. cmlibrary.org.
- Kids eat free with the purchase of an adult entree at J.J’s Red Hots (1514 East Blvd. and 15105 John J. Delaney Drive). jjsredhots.com.
- Attend Story Time with Leslie at Main Street Books in Davidson Nov. 2 and 16 at 10am. mainstreetbooksdavidson.com.
- Kids will love learning about North Carolina’s gold mining history while climbing the stagecoach at the Wells Fargo History Museum, which is free Tues.-Sat. from 9am-5pm. wellsfargohistory.com.
- Visit the Teen Science Café at the Museum of York County, Nov. 30 starting at 6pm for food, icebreakers, and research talk and Q&A with a featured scientist.
- Sign up for a free appointment to get your car seat checked on Nov. 3 at the Britax USA Headquarters from 8-11am. us.britax.com.
- Carolina Raptor Center will celebrate International Science Center and Science Museum Day on Nov. 10 with a free day for residents of Mecklenburg County. The day includes hands-on activities for kids and adults that celebrate how birds have inspired science innovation for thousands of years. 10am-5pm. carolinaraptorcenter.org.
- Kids grades K-5 can drop in to play board games and solve puzzles at the Gaston County Library on Nov. 4 from 11am-3pm. gastonlibrary.org.
- Get into the holiday spirit at the annual Light Up Cornelius event at Cornelius Town Hall on Nov. 25 starting at 4pm with live performances, carriage rides, the annual tree lighting and visits with Santa. cornelius.org.
- Listen to a story and then build a fairy house of your own from natural items at Reedy Creek Nature Preserve at 2pm on Nov. 5. parkandrec.com.
- Roast marshmallows around a Family Campfire at McDowell Nature Preserve at 6pm on Nov. 15. Registration required. parkandre.com.