Connect With Culture Day Scheduled for Jan. 26-27
Charlotte-Mecklenburg residents should mark their calendars for this year’s ASC’s Connect with Culture Day. Events kick off Fri., Jan. 26, with most events for kids happening throughout the day Sat., Jan. 27. The FREE cultural experiences will take place at various times and locations throughout Mecklenburg County, allowing participants to enjoy a range of diverse arts, science, history and heritage experiences.
A full schedule of Connect with Culture Day activities is available at ArtsAndScience.org. Please note that some events require advance registration.
Connect with Culture Day will kick-off with cultural experiences at breweries in NoDa, Plaza-Midwood and South End, including:
- Salsa lessons with Rumbao Latin Dance and DJ Chain at NoDa Brewing Company.
- An African Drum Circle with Drums4Life at Resident Culture Brewing.
- Nicci Canada and The Dapper Street Jazz Band at Lenny Boy Brewing Company.
Each brewery experience will also include collaborative art projects led by artists from Ciel Gallery in South End. The Friday experiences will conclude with a Latin Music Concert Series at 9 p.m. at Mint Museum Uptown at Levine Center for the Arts featuring Mariachis Gavilanes Gabriel and free access to the Mint’s Uptown galleries until 11 p.m.
Light Writing at Studio 345.
Photo by Giovanna Torres
On Saturday, there will be “cultural stations” placed at Charlotte Mecklenburg Library branches and other community facilities. The day features dozens of free cultural experiences, including:
- Uptown museums open free of charge, including Bechtler Museum of Modern Art, Levine Museum of the New South, McColl Center for Art + Innovation, Mint Museum Uptown and Wells Fargo History Museum.
- A performance of “Hansel and Gretel” by Red Herring Puppets at Community House Middle School in Ballantyne.
- A performance of “Snow White” by Davidson Community Players in Davidson.
- A host of programs at Charlotte Museum of History in East Charlotte, including a “Taste of the World” experience, performances by Nouveau Sud and Little Lotus Chinese Company, the Red Calaca Mobile Art Truck and more.
- Environmental education opportunities at Carolina Raptor Center in Huntersville and Wing Haven in Myers Park.
- Story time Readings by Charlotte Ballet at Beatties Ford Road Regional Library, Hickory Grove Library, South County Regional Library and University City Regional Library in Charlotte and North County Regional Library in Huntersville.
- Gallery tours at Davidson College and Johnson C. Smith University.
- In West Charlotte, an African Dance Class by Charlotte Ballet at the Bette Rae Thomas Recreation Center and a performance of “Every Brilliant Thing” by Three Bone Theatre at West Boulevard Library.
“This year’s Connect with Culture Day will provide free, high-quality cultural experiences in just about every part of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County,” says ASC President Robert Bush. “Offering these arts, science and history experiences close to home is one of the ways ASC is helping make the cultural community more accessible.”