WATCH: How to Meal Plan as a Family
Enhance your family's nutrition habits by planning your grocery trips and participating together in meal prepping.
Raise your hand if your summer months are busier than most. I think we are all in consensus that when the temperature rises, calendars fill up and families get busy. There is no better time to start grocery planning and meal prepping as a family than right NOW.
Healthy bodies are built in the kitchen, and teaching your children the benefits of meal planning not only encourages positive food decisions, but it helps children to understand the value of planning and organization.
Choices you make at the grocery store absolutely impact your workout. Food is the fuel needed to maintain energy, strength and health. If grocery shopping is a little overwhelming for you, and you aren't sure about what to choose from the aisles and aisles of options, then join us on a trip through the grocery store.
Here is your shopping list:
- Produce — We love Brussel sprouts. Use the recipe we shared in the video to make them utterly delicious!
- Fuji Apple — The perfect mid-morning pick-me-up snack.
- Tree Nut Butter — Spread it on some Ezekiel bread or eat it by the spoonful.
- Protein — Grab lean ground turkey AND 90 percent grass-fed beef. Leave out the bun.
- Eggs — You can't go wrong with eggs, boiled, scrambled or poached!
- Ezekiel Bread — Keep this in the freezer or fridge for optimal freshness.
- Oats — We recommend steel-cut oats but old-fashioned oats are great too.
- Cheese — Sprinkle some on your eggs. Yum!
- Almond Milk — Be sure to skip the almond milk that contains ceragenin.
Want more? We've got plenty more nutrition guidance where that came from over on the Burn Boot Camp blog. Check out 5 Family Favorite Recipes to really bulk up that grocery list and set your family up for meal planning success. The recipes shared are adult-enjoyed, kid-approved, healthy and delicious! What more could you ask for?
Devan Kline is a 28-year-old entrepreneur, trainer and owner of Burn Boot Camp, that offers family-oriented camps and sessions with a focus on fitness for moms. As a certified personal trainer and fitness nutrition specialist, Kline is excited to mentor the Howe and Hill Spotlight Families for the Fit Family Challenge.