5 Ways To Rise Above Plastics
Earth Day is April 22. Use these tips to help prevent plastic pollution.
Reusable grocery bags are an easy way that your family can reduce your use of plastics.
Earth Day is April 22. Surfrider Foundation of Charlotte offers these tips on “rising above plastics.”
1. Choose to reuse when it comes to shopping bags and bottled water. Cloth bags and metal or glass reusable bottles are available at great prices.
2. Refuse single-serving packaging, excess packaging, straws and other disposable plastics. Carry reusable utensils in your purse, backpack or car to use at barbecues, potlucks or take-out restaurants.
3. Reduce everyday plastics, such as sandwich bags and juice cartons, by replacing them with a reusable lunch box that includes a thermos.
4. Go digital. No need for plastic CDs, DVDs and jewel cases when you can buy music and videos online.
5. Recycle. If you must use plastic, try to choose No. 1 (PETE) or No. 2 (HDPE), which are the most commonly recycled plastics. Avoid plastic bags and polystyrene foam as each has very low recycling rates.
Learn how to join in a local Surfrider clean-up project at charlotte.surfrider.org.