5 Tips to Second-Language Learning Success
Making learning a foreign language simple for your child.
1. Expose children to a second language early. Research shows that a “window of opportunity” for language learning occurs in early childhood, and that children can learn a second language just as naturally as their first.
2. Skip the translation. Children can achieve fluency more quickly and permanently by learning words from images and context.
3. Explore the sounds of a native speaker. Try language classes, DVDs and CDs.
4. Repetition is key. Provide opportunities for children to hear similar words in different contexts, such as songs, skits, poems and stories.
5. Offer a kid-friendly immersion program. A good language program needs to entertain and captivate young learners with themes, songs, stories and characters.